Many people who aspire to be a thought leader, influencer, author (whatever your focus is) think that as long as they have excellent content, they will get their message heard. Unfortunately, in today’s world of information overload and short attention spans, good ideas are not enough.
To be heard through all the noise, you have to have a platform from which to speak. In the past, this may have been a literal stage – today, it’s your videos on YouTube, your podcasts on iTunes, your blog and your interaction on social media networks. This is why I often talk about the importance of building your personal brand using P2P – the People to People approach. You have to make connections to be remembered.
In today’s episode, I talk with Michael Hyatt about Platform – the umbrella brand for his membership site, conference, and book. We also delve into managing virtual team members and discuss how to get systems flowing nicely in your business, promoting growth and productivity.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- The power of the personal brand and having your own platform.
- Why you need to produce multimedia content and be everywhere online.
- Why you don’t have to write a book all in one go.
- How to run a successful membership site.
- How to work with virtual employees and contractors.
- How to beat procrastination as an entrepreneur.
- Much, much more!
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Michael’s Blog
- Platform – Michael’s book, conference, and membership forum.
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Jason Fried’s Rework
- World Domination Summit
- Stu McLaren
- Pat Flynn
- VirtualStaffFinder.com – my VA matchmaking site for entrepreneurs.
- My 3 Lists to Freedom Exercise
Michael’s perspective on virtual teams is interesting to me – not having any full-time employees and only working with contractors. Do any of the business owners listening in on this session agree with this approach, or do you prefer having long-term, full time team members?
This weekend I’m speaking at DCBKK, in Bangkok. It’s a conference for online entrepreneurs put on by the guys over at TropicalMBA. If you’re planning to be there, come say ‘Hi’ to me, I’d love to meet properly!
Subscribe to the Podcast
To subscribe to the New Business Podcast, use the link below:
Are you building your platform currently? Any stumbling blocks? What about virtual staff – are you working with them already? If not, why not? Answer in the comments below!