One of the newest, and most underutilized, social media platforms today is Google+. But what about the rumors that it’s falling to the wayside and will soon be scrapped?
Not true says our guest for today, Ryan Hanley who is also the creator and owner of a weekly show called Content Warfare Weekly.
Ryan is a marketer who cut his teeth learning digital marketing in the insurance industry. For the last five years he’s been exploring every social media outlet available. He started out hot and heavy with Twitter, tested the waters with Facebook, and nearly every other platform you can think of. And the one he’s settled on is Google+.
So why that one? What makes it so special and better than the rest? A few reasons, according to Ryan. The first is the maturity of Google+. He doesn’t necessarily mean the users are more mature, but that the people who gravitated towards this platform are doing so to find richer, deeper conversations. In fact, Google+ is designed with conversations in mind.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- The different types of circles on Google+: what are they and how do you use them?
- How important are hashtags on Google+?
- The #1 mistake Ryan sees even top marketers make, and how you can avoid it.
- Can podcasts be listened to directly from Google+?
- Why you must be using rich media in your Google+ posts.
- Are blog comments going the way of the Dodo bird?
- Much, much more!
Share the Tweetable: Google+ is built for conversations. Spread the knowledge of Ryan Hanley – [Tweet This!]
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Ryan’s Website
- Content Warfare Podcast
- My Appearance on Ryan’s Podcast
- Circloscope – Managing your circles in a smart way.
- Giphy – Cool animated GIF library.
- Canva – Visual content creation tool (click here for a full guide!)
- Circle Ryan on Google+
- Circle Chris on Google+
- Follow Ryan on Twitter
- Tropical Think Tank (Just a few tickets left!)
I value every review I receive, and often read them out on the show. If you take the time to leave one, THANK YOU - You rock!
This Episode’s Sponsor – 99Designs
I get asked all the time where the best place is to find graphic designers. My answer has been, and will always be the same – go to 99Designs! There is no real reason for the majority of entrepreneurs to hire a full-time person for their graphic needs. 99Designs is all you need to get your logos, websites, landing pages, business cards and much more designed professionally, at a great price!
Click THIS LINK to launch your design contest with an exclusive $99 Power Pack Upgrade!
Another reason Google+ is Ryan’s social space of choice is how it facilitates those conversations. Ryan explains the differences between a profile page, a brand page and a community page, the various aspects of a proper post in Google+, how to create deeper engagement and the rich SEO benefits it offers.
Though we won’t go in-depth on all of what he shares (you can have a listen for all the details), we’ll touch on what makes a great post in Google+ according to Ryan. Unlike other platforms, Google+ is built for more robust content. He says you never ever want to just dump your link, that doesn’t work on Google+. To make sure your post is read and provides value include the following components:
- The first is your headline. You should create a headline and then bold it using the asterisk symbol (*) at the beginning and end of your headline copy. The great thing about Google+ is that all the content there is searchable and indexed, so keep that in mind.
- After you’ve got your headline created, move on to the next line which is where your meta description will go. You should italicize this content by using the underscore symbol (_) at the beginning and the end of the copy.
- Next write 2 to 3 sentences about why people should read what you’re sharing with them. Remember Google+ likes robust content so give them real reasons to read your post.
- The fourth thing you should include in your post is your link.
- And finally include mentions to anyone you mention in the content. Then your post is ready to be shared.
As you can tell just from the little bit shared here, Ryan is THE man when it comes to this platform and it’s a social media space that I believe is just set to explode, so get in on it so you’re poised to take full advantage when it does.
There’s SO much more Ryan shared on today’s show, be sure to listen in and take notes..then take action! Please join me in thanking Ryan for being here and thank you as well. See you next time!
Subscribe to the Podcast
To subscribe to the New Business Podcast, use the link below:
What has your experience been on Google+? What are you going to start doing there that you haven’t before, based on what Ryan shared today? I want to hear from you in the comments below!