How do you stand out in a competitive market? Let’s say you pick the fitness industry to be involved in. There are thousands of fitness and weight loss related websites and products online today. Why should your customers choose you, over all the rest?
Providing quality content – not just good, but epic stuff – is definitely a good start, but it can take a while for it to get noticed. Having a strong personal brand is important, but it can still be not enough in an already over-saturated market. To really stand out, you have to be fundamentally different from your competition. That’s exactly what Steve Kamb did. He created a series of fitness products for a very specific group of people – nerds – and only for them.
In today’s episode, I speak with Steve about how he started Nerd Fitness, and how it became the massive community with a cult-like following that it is today.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- The power of community in online business.
- Why you shouldn’t aim to please everybody with your product or service.
- Why polarizing people will make your followers more loyal.
- The power of using community feedback to improve your offering.
- Why you need to be creating “evergreen” content.
- How to create a cult-like following for your brand.
- Much, much more!
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Nerd Fitness – Steve Kamb’s site.
- Steve’s Fitness Guides
- Paleo Central mobile app.
- The Four Hour Workweek by Tim Ferriss.
- Fizzle – training and community for entrepreneurs.
- NBP Episode 30 with Corbett Barr.
- NBP Episode 26 (solo session) on innovating your industry.
I value every review I receive, and often read them out on the show. If you take the time to leave one, THANK YOU - You rock!
Like Steve, I’m a firm believer that being innovative is one of the best ways to stand out as a business owner. I talked about this before, many times. On top of that, being passionate and authentic with your content will get you the kind of loyal, raving fans that you can (and will) never get through hype marketing.
Subscribe to the Podcast
To subscribe to the New Business Podcast, use the link below:
Let’s hear from THIS community. What’s your edge? What makes your brand radically different from the rest? Answer in the comment section below!