A couple who has done this in a wildly successful way is here to share their story, Shane and Jocelyn Sams of Flipped Lifestyle.
Shane and Jocelyn were both teachers and were raising a young family when they started their individual businesses. Shane was a history teacher who was passionate about coaching football and Jocelyn was a school librarian. They both created web sites to sell lesson plans and digital products to their respective markets: football coaches and librarians.
They continued working at their jobs while growing their projects on the side until the month they earned $36,000. That was when they decided to quit teaching and focus their energies on their sites full-time.
In this episode, you’ll learn about:
- Did they have to overcome Super Hero Syndrome?
- What did the people around them say when they quit their jobs?
- What was a truly pivotal moment in their businesses?
- What happened when they raised their prices and how does it relate to your business?
- What is their mission with Flipped Lifestyle?
- Much, much more!
Share the Tweetable: “Anybody can do this but not everybody will.” [Tweet This!]
Items mentioned in this episode:
- Elementary Librarian – Jocelyn’s librarian lesson plan web site
- Coach XO – Shane’s football coaching program web site
- Flipped Lifestyle – Shane and Jocelyn’s web site
- When Enough is Enough – My blog post about the day I became an entrepreneur
- Shane and Jocelyn’s gift to you – free video series on creating and selling digital products
- New Business Podcast – Episode 50 with Jill and Josh Stanton
- Shane and Jocelyn on Episode 122 of the Smart Passive Income Podcast
- Shane and Jocelyn on Twitter
- 1 Day Business Breakthrough – my new business brand with Pat Flynn!
I value every review I receive, and often read them out on the show. If you take the time to leave one, THANK YOU - You rock!
This Episode’s Sponsor – Aweber
I get asked all the time what the primary focus on building the ‘marketing’ side of an online business should be. The answer is always the same. Your email list. You’ve no doubt heard me say it before on other episodes, the overall success of your business is directly associated with your email list. Plain and simple – you MUST build an email marketing list. And since being active online, I’ve used Aweber all the way. They’re awesome and easy to use.
Click THIS LINK to get started with your own email list building for just $1.00!
When Shane and Jocelyn came to the 1-Day Business Breakthrough they were where many business owners and entrepreneurs find themselves: they were successful and making good money, but they were doing almost all of the work themselves.
And they wanted to change that; they were committed to growing their businesses and taking them to the next level which is why they attended the event. They got exactly that out of being there! They grew both of their businesses. In fact their businesses exploded and in July of 2014 they brought in $140k.
One of the biggest takeaways they got from that event was to double their prices. Shane talks about how he took his football coaching program from $47 to over $200. He shares how doing so raised the perceived value of their products through the roof!
They also created long-lasting friendships and business partnerships with some of the other people in attendance, including Josh and Jill Stanton of Screw your 9 to 5. Together the two couples will be hosting a live event (maybe even two) in 2015.
There’s plenty more in this episode, including their mission to impact 1,000 families or move in 2015. Shane and Jocelyn’s story is an inspirational one, be sure to listen in and hear the full scoop!